(possibly of imitative origin) organized body of hired applauders
to make a rattling sound
to make a sharp short noise
1. To make a succession of slight sharp snapping noises: a fire crackling in the wood stove.
2. To show liveliness, energy, or intensity: a book that crackles with humor.
3. To become covered with a network of fine cracks; craze.
1. To crush (paper, for example) with sharp snapping sounds.
2. To cause (china, for example) to become covered with a network of fine cracks.
in the media: Snap, crackle, and Pop are the cartoon mascots of Kellogg's breakfast cereal Rice Krispies. They are named after the sound rice krispies make when they are dropped in a bowl of milk
to dash to pieces, or the noise produced by it
a harsh cry, sound of a rusty gate hinge, to speak stridently or querulously, or to make a shrill grating noise
name of chirping insect, grasshopper
to make a soft crackling sound, rustle
1. to chew with a noisy crackling sound, 2. to crush, grind, or tread noisily. Find more chewing noises
(Psophodes olivaceus) bird species found in eastern Australia. The Whipbirds' long "whip" call, one of the most characteristic sounds of the Australian bush, is performed as a duet. The male makes the drawn out whip crack and the female usually follows quickly with a sharp "choo-choo". about this bird
1. to flutter, hover, vibrate 2. bird species name, see northern flicker
rustling, like silk dresses do
1. harsh sound, 2. the sound of guns (in the poem "Lepanto" by G. K. Chesterton: "...For he heard drums groaning and he heard guns jar ..."
(pronounced cashel)sound of a rattly, phlegmy cough
sound of breaking metal ("Misoso: Once Upon a Time Tales from Africa", by Verna Aardema)
Sound of a skateboarder skateboarding. Skateboarder doing a trick: "Krrrrrrrr, snap! (pause) crack! Krrrrrrrr..." user Mikemega on answerbag.com
sound of rapping, knocking, or explosive. in the media: Snap, crackle, and Pop are the cartoon mascots of Kellogg's breakfast cereal Rice Krispies. They are named after the sound rice krispies make when they are dropped in a bowl of milk. Find more explosions.
short for raspberry tart, rhyming slang for fart: a sound of contempt made by protruding the tongue between the lips and expelling air forcibly to produce a vibration; broadly : an expression of disapproval or contempt. Also "rasp", "razz" or "Bronx cheer". As in "blowing a raspberry", "making a Bronx cheer". Ref: thesneeze , wikipedia.
1. rapid succession of short sharp sounds, 2. an instrument that makes a rattling noise
to make a low heavy continuous sound
to give forth a succession of light crisp sounds
to tear or mark a surface with something sharp or jagged
1. a high shrill piercing cry usually expressing pain or terror, 2. the high pitched sound the tires of a car make when it turns at high speed
to make a crunching sound, to crush or crunch, or to crumple or squeeze
to make a shrill sound
sound of nails on a blackboard (ref)
1. to make a cracking sound, eg. snapping your fingers, or a camera making a photo (sound of the shutter). in the media: Snap, crackle, and Pop are the cartoon mascots of Kellogg's breakfast cereal Rice Krispies. They are named after the sound rice krispies make when they are dropped in a bowl of milk 2. the "sound" of someone's pride being hurt. this is another example of "non-auditory onomatopoeia". other examples: bling bling, yoink and shiiin
1. to strike or press with crushing force; crush down; squash. 2. to put down, suppress, or silence, as with a crushing retort or argument. 3. to make a splashing sound. 4. to tread heavily in water, mud, wet shoes, etc., with such a sound.
to squeeze, squash
making a harsh noise
sounds coming out of the loudspeaker in the subway during an important announcement (ref)
- Fewer searchterms (eg. cat will yield more results than cat sounds)
- Try synonyms (eg. if saber does not give you results, try sword, cutlass or blade)
- Truncate (eg. walk will give more results than walking because it returns everything that has walk in it including walked and walks)